The Power of Learning Leads to the Power of Sharing and the Power of Sharing Leads to the Power of Empowering!

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

LESSON PLAN (GROUP 7 KELAS A)


LESSON PLAN (GROUP 7 KELAS A)

School                                 : SD XXX
Subject                                : Bahasa Inggris
Class/ semester                 : IV / 1
Time Allotment                 : 2 x 30 minutes
Skill                                      : Speaking


Standard Competence  :
2. Mengungkapkan instruksi dan informasi sangat sederhana dalam konteks kelas.

Basic Competence           :
2.1 Bercakap-cakap untuk menyertai tindakan secara berterima yang melibatkan tindak tutur: mengenalkan diri, memberi salam, atau sapaan, member salam perpisahan dan member aba-aba.

Indicators                            :
1.       Menyebutkan informasi-informasi yang dibutuhkan pada saat memperkenalkan diri
2.       Mendemonstrasikan cara memperkenalkan dirinya sendiri
3.       Menggunakan kalimat sapaan
Learning objectives         :
1.       Siswa dapat menyebutkan informasi-informasi yang dibutuhkan pada saat memperkenalkan dirinya sendiri secara berterima.
2.       Siswa dapat memperkenalkan dirinya sendiri secara baik
3.       Siswa dapat mengucapkan kallimat sapaan secara berterima
Topic                     : I am Hana
Media                   :  
1.       Dolls
2.       Story
3.       Song
4.       game
Learning Material:
·         How to introduce yourself:
-          My name is Eka.
-          I am Linta.
-          My hobby is reading.
-          I like swimming.
-          Nice to meet you.
-          Nice to meet you, too.
·         Greeting someone:
-          Hello
-          Hi
-          Good morning
·         Information about myself:
-          Name
-          Hobby
·         Story
My first day at school.


I am a new student. It is my first day at school. I am so nervous. My heart is thumping. Dug dug dug dug. I come early today. I sit on my chair. I wait for my new chair-mate.
A girl comes to my desk. I think she is my chair-mate. She smiles at me. I smile at her. She asks me “Are you a new student?”. I reply “Yes I am. My name is Hana. What is your name?”
“I’m Mega” she says “Nice to meet you, Hana.”
“ Nice to meet you too, Mega” I ask “are you my chair-mate?”
 “No, I’m not. I’ll see you later. Good bye”
“Good bye”
So she is not my chair-mate, I think.
I wait again and a boy comes to my desk. He asks “Are you the new student?”
“Yes I am” I reply. “My name is Hana. What is your name?”
“I’m Reza” he says “Nice to meet you, Hana.”
“Nice to meet you too, Reza” I ask “are you my chair-mate?”
 “No, I’m not. I’ll see you later. Good bye”
“Good bye”
So he is not my chair-mate, I think.
 “Do you know my chair-mate, Reza?” I add
“There she is”
A nice girl comes to us. She asks “Are you the new student?”
“Yes, I am” I reply “My name is Hana. What is your name?”
“I’m Ranum” she says “Nice to meet you, Hana.”
“Nice to meet you too, Ranum” I ask “are you my chair-mate?”
“Yes I am”
So she’s my chair-mate. “Let’s be friends” I say
“Good. Me too” Reza says
“Me too!” says Mega
They are very funny. I like to be in my new school. Suddenly I feel so happy.

·         Song
Hello hello, what’s your name?
what’s your name?
what’s your name?
Hello hello, what’s your name?
I am ……………………….

·         Evaluation Games
What’s your name?

The students are given this survey sheet














Cloud Callout: My friend’s name is….


Cloud Callout: My friend’s name is….







Cloud Callout: My friend’s name is….

 



















Each student is given a piece of paper to write their fake name.
In 3 minutes, each student must interview 4 friends in the classroom by asking “What’s your name?” Then they list their friend’s fake name on the survey sheet.
The friends must not be those who are in their front, back, left side or right side.
They five will be a group.
After a group has formed, they decide their group’s name.
After that, they introduce their group’s name and introduce each member. Each member introduces himself or herself to the teacher.
The teacher will give each of them a paper which is a quiz. Students work individually.
Those who have finished the quiz may leave the class.

Activities
·         Pre-activity
1.       Greeting
-          Teacher greets the students and checks the students’ attendance.
2.       Brainstorming
-          Teacher tells the students that they will have a new friend.
-          Teacher introduces “a new friend” which is a doll named Hana.
-          “A new friend” introduces herself by saying “good morning, my name is Hana. Nice to meet you.”
-          Hana comes and asks to one of the student using “what is your name?”
-          The student comes to one of the other students and asks the same question. (chain questions)
·         Activity
1.       Story telling
-          Teacher tells a story about Hana’s first day at school.
-          Teacher asks the students to perform the story in front of the class. The actors are taken voluntarily. In this activity, teacher tries to involve the students to the story by modifying the way she tells the story.
-          Teacher makes sure the students who are not being the actors also can involve in the activity.
2.       Song
-         Teacher asks the students “do you still remember how hana introduces her name?” and “What does she like?”
-         Teacher writes down “Let me introduce myself, my name is……, and I like….” On the board.
-          Teacher tells the students that they will sing a song together.
-          Teacher teaches sing the song by herself using the writing on the board.
-          Teacher teaches the song to the students.
-          Teacher asks the students to sing together by using “now, let’s sing together”.
-          Students and teacher sing together.
3.       Game
-          Teacher asks the students whether they are happy.
-          Teacher asks the students if they want to play a game or not by asking “do you want to play a game?”
-          Teacher tells the instruction of the game.
-          Students play the game.
·         Post-Activity
1.       Reviewing
-          Teacher asks “Do you still remember what can you say when you meet someone for the first time?” then guides the students to the answer “Nice to meet you” by recalling the story.
-          Teacher asks the students about activities that they like.
-          Teacher asks the students to sing a song again.
2.       Greeting
-          Teacher ends the class and says goodbye


Evaluasi:
Choose the correct answer and cross the alphabet (a, b, c, or d)
1.       A: ….. is your name?
B: My name is Rani.
a.       Where
b.      What
c.       Which
d.      When
2.       A: ….., I am Sarah.
B: Hello, I am Toni.
a.       Good bye
b.      See you later
c.       Hello
d.      Nice to meet you
3.       A: Hello, ….. Tanti.
B: Hello, my name is Sony.
a.       You are
b.      My name is
c.       How are you
d.      What is your name
4.       A: ….. Ani?
B: Yes, my name is Ani.
a.       I am
b.      My name
c.       Your name
d.      Are you
5.       Gita is a new student in her class. Eka greets him by saying …..
a.       Hi. What is your name?
b.      Thank you
c.       Good bye
d.      I am fine thank you


Rubrik penilaian Speaking:
Aspek Penilaian
Deskripsi
Pronunciation

0.0-0.4
Sering terjadi kesalahan fonemik, tekanan dan intonasi yangmenyebabkan pesan tak tersampaikan
0.5-1.4
Sering terjadi kesalahan fonemik, tekanan dan intonasi yangmenyebabkan pesan kadang-kadang tak tersampaikan
1.5-2.4
Beberapa kesalahan fonemik, tekanan dan pola intonasi tetapi pesanyang disampaikan dapat dipahami
2.5-3.0
Kadang-kadang terjadi kesalahan pelafalan, tetapi pesan selalutersampaikan
Fluency

0.0-0.4
Ujaran kadang patah-patah aau aksennya sangat asing sehinggaketerpahaman sulit terjadi
0.5-1.4
Banyak terjadi perhentian yang bukan seperti pada penutur aslisehingga mengganggu keterpahaman
1.5-2.4
Beberapa perhentian yang tidak seperti penutur asli masih terjaditetapi tidak mengganggu keterpahaman
2.5-3.0
Ujaran mengalir secara alamiah mendekati penutur asli

12 comments:

  1. Nice lesson plan. So, the activities for Ss to practice are: role-play as Hana? How if Ss make a group and they do a role-play like Hana but use their real names?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your great comment dita. It really help us.
      We agree with you that we can do the role-play using the students name. That's why we put "Teacher asks the students to perform the story in front of the class. The actors are taken voluntarily. In this activity, teacher tries to involve the students to the story by modifying the way she tells the story." in our activity. So, teacher actually can modify the way he/she tell the story.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing your lesson plan.
    There are two points that I would like to comment on.

    1. You did a good job in providing activities that can accommodate varied Multiple Intelligences (Gardner, 1983). You provide story to support verbal-linguistic, song to support musical, interview to support interpersonal and kinesthetic (as children are supposed to move around). Due to the reason, your lesson plan has accomplished the need to match what we know about the ways kids are intelligent and learn with teaching strategies designed to maximize the full development of each individual child (Hine, 2008).

    2. I understand that the purpose of "fake name" is for children to 'get to know each other' at that moment, but they have to provide fake name to pretend that they haven't technically known each other. It gives implication that students will not be engaged to the activity because it's impersonal and pretending to have a fake name is something they don't experience. Whereas according to sociocultural perspectives proposed learning principles, as derived from Piaget (1975), children learn and create knowledge base from direct experiences; ... and from what they experience directly (Musthafa, 2010).
    So, it is okay if children are required to use their own name in the interview activity. Teacher's job here is to create context where children can position themselves to demonstrate how to introduce themselves and their friends, by giving clear yet simple instruction.

    Hine, Connie. (2008). Developing Multiple Intelligences in Young Learners. Retrieved October 4, 2012, from http://www.earlychildhoodnews.com/earlychildhood/article_view.aspx?ArticleID=251

    Musthafa, Bachrudin. (2010). Teaching English to Young Learners in Indonesia: Essential Requirements. Educationist IV(2). Retrieved from https:file.upi.edu/Direktori/JURNAL/EDUCATIONIST/Vol._IV_No._2-Juli_2010/07_Bachrudin_Musthafa.pdf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much for your great comment Septi. Your comment help us a lot.

      Delete
  3. I’d like to focus on several things on your lesson plan. The first one is concerning the story. I find that the story fits into what is described in the discourse organization of stories (Cameroon: 160). The story has a typical structure of children story which is initialized by the introduction part of the character, description of the setting, introduction of a problem, a series of an event that leads to the resolution of the problem. More over, the story provides sufficient vocabularies and expressions to be learned related to the topic of the lesson in that meeting. It also contains a “parallelism” or a repeated pattern which offers the students to understand the story by the “echoes” provided (Cameroon: 163). The story also contains both narratives and dialogue. It is good since the fusion of both forms in a story does much to create its particular atmosphere that can make the story becomes interesting.
    The second is about the evaluation test. It is realized that no matter how child-friendly a test is, it may give the test taker some effects or ‘washback’. The washback could create a stress atmosphere for the students since they are demanded by the presents of assessment (Cameroon: 216). Here, Hughes, 2007 suggests that in making a child-friendly test, it is important for us, as the test maker, to see from their point of view. Students may feel confused of what they have to do in finishing the test. So, to reduce one of the washback from the test, we can provide them an example of what should we do with the test in the first number. So, they can follow the system to do the next number. Moreover, in designing a test, we should consider about students’ characteristics since young learners may require having special features in their test. A Multiple choice test can be used to one of technique in assessing the young learners (Hughes: 207). It is good that this group provides a short and brief test. Hughes, 2007, suggested that a test should contain some pictures, attractive typography, and color (if it is possible) since the students naturally respond well to these features.
    References
    Cameron, L. (2001). Teaching Languages to Young Learners. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
    Hughes, A. (2007). Testing for Language Teacher. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for your comment Amy. your comment help us a lot in improving our lesson plan.

      Delete
  4. I think that your lesson plan is good, and one thing that I've been highlighted is the varied activities you provide in the lesson plan. You start it by story, song, and game with students' involvement during the process that won't be boring for children. As Brown (2001, p.88) states that "...short attention spans do come into play when children have to deal with material that to them is boring, useless, or too difficult." And he further suggests that "A lesson needs to a variety of activities to keep interest and attention alive."
    I'd like also to comment on some points that still needed to be improved in your lesson plan:
    1. In your lesson plan, there is an activity that :
    - " Teacher asks the students “do you still remember how Hana introduces her name?” and “What does she like?”
    - Teacher writes down “Let me introduce myself, my name is……, and “I like….” On the board.

    While, I think that "What does she like...", and "I like..." are irrelevant with the focus of the materials given which is about introducing ourselves. Brown (2001, p.90) states that "A whole language approach is essential. If language broken into too many bits and pieces, students won't see the relationship to the whole." So, my suggestion is that the part "What does she like...", and "I like..." should be removed to make it more effective and to prevent the students' confusion.

    2. As my friend has suggested that in the game session, I also think that it would be better if the context is also provided. The context can encourage students to do the activities as Cameron (2001, p.58) states that "The first point to be made is that if children are to talk meaningfully in foreign language classrooms, they must have something they want to talk." So, it is important to build students' willingness to talk by giving the interesting context that should be familiar for them. As Cameron further says that "Discourse in young learners classroom should follow patterns children find familiar, from their home and family, or from their school experience....” (p.53)

    3. In the game session, it is good that the students are asked to interview their friends. This activity will cover the interactional demand in which the type of interaction required will be varied; e.g pair work; with the participant in talk-adult/peers; with the nature of the interaction, e.g question+answer (Cameron, 2001:25). One thing that is needed to be considered is the teacher role in this session. The teacher needs to play as a controller, as Brown (2001. p.167) states that "Master controllers determine what the students do, when they should speak, and what language forms they should use."
    In this point, it should be considered how the teacher control the students so each student will have a group, and they will use the language forms required correctly.

    4. There will be a quiz at the end of the lesson, as it has been written in your lesson plan:
    "After a group has formed, they decide their group’s name.
    After that, they introduce their group’s name and introduce each member. Each member introduces himself or herself to the teacher.
    The teacher will give each of them a paper which is a quiz. Students work individually.
    Those who have finished the quiz may leave the class."
    But, the quiz part hasn't been written in the list of activities. So, I'd like to suggest you to put it in the post-activities.

    References
    Brown, H. Douglas. (2001). Teaching by Principles: An Interactive Approach to Language Pedagogy. Longman: San Fransisco State University
    Cameron, L. (2001). Teaching Languages to Young Learners. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. thank you for your comment Nida. your comment help us a lot in improving our lesson plan.

      Delete
  5. Firstly, I want to give my comment about the learning sequences that has been made by the group. In the main activity, it is stated that the teacher begins the learning by giving the students a story about Hana’s first day at school. Then, the teacher asks the students to perform the story. The consideration to tell the story and ask the students to play the role is good choice as the students will be able to enjoy variety of text and then they interact with their peers in the role play. As Cremin (2009) states that creative activity and engaging context in learning a language can develop students’ confidence and competence. But, it has to be emphasized, that the play can be started if the students have engaged with the story.
    Then from the story itself, it has the language uses which taken from Cameron (2005), such as:
    a. Parallelism as in “Are you a new student?”; “Nice to meet you”; and “my name is”.
    b. Rich vocabulary from the story which stands as noun (chair-mate, school, student, etc), adjective (nervous, funny, happy), verb (smile, wait, come), and so on.
    c. Narrative, such as; I am a student.
    d. Dialogue, such as: “Are you new students?”
    In terms of story, it has good quality since it almost fulfills the language use in the story. The story is also simple and interactive for the students. I suggest, in term of grammar, it is better in the first sentence using “My name is Hana” rather than “I am a student”, to make the subject clearer.
    Thirdly, about the learning objective, according to the learning material in the lesson plan, in introducing ourselves is including; name and hobby, but in the story and game the hobby is not involved in the activity. It means that there is not suitability between the objective and the activity. According to Mellon, if the learning objective is not the same with the activity, it can make the expectation of the teacher is not the same as the students’ one. So, to cope with this kind of condition, teacher has to communicate explicitly about what the students are going to learn in order to make or help them perform well in the activity.
    Fourthly, about the game which is also as the evaluation for the students whether they have good ability in speaking or not. The main concern, according to the rubric is the pronunciation of the students and the clarity in delivering the information. I consider it as a demanding activity since they have to introduce him/her self and also his/her groups to the teacher. There is no “sense of happiness” which is the relaxed condition and feeling no worry too much about mistake and the minimal control during the activity (Scott& Ytrebeg, 1990). According to Linse (2005), it is stated that the young learners in the age of six have the difficulty in pronouncing the words in foreign language, and even though the students at the age of 10 (4th grader) are more mature, it is suggested no to focus so much in the pronunciation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Based on the lesson plan, it has involved more than one multiple intelligences which help students to improve their musical (through singing), interpersonal (through interviewing), visual intelligences (through rubric), and bodily kinesthetic (through role playing). I recommend, later on, the group can explore the activity on using other activities such as drawing, using dialogue, and using game which can make the cooperation among students built well. Then, for the lesson plan, it is better to consider about the sequence and the instruction to make them clearer and being well organized activity.


    References:

    Cameron, Lynne. 2005. Teaching Languages to Young Learners. Cambridge: Cambridge university press.

    Cremin, Teresa. 2009. Teaching English Creatively. New York: Routledge.

    Linse, Caroline. 2005. Practical English Language Teaching: Young Learners. New York: McGraw- Hill

    Mellon,Carnegie. Teaching Principles. http://www.cmu.edu/teaching/principles/teaching.html

    Scott, Wendy and Ytreberg, Lisbeth. 1990. Teaching English to Children. New York: Longman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for your comment Firda. your comment help us a lot in improving our lesson plan.

      Delete